Sunday, December 2, 2012

Unknown Quilter's Top / Thrift Find

Whenever I find a unfinished vintage quilt, be it at a yard sale or thrifting, I think of where the fabrics may have come from,  who was the intended quilt meant for, and finally, what happened to stop its completion. 

I've heard that sometimes its for reasons beyond the quilt-maker's ability to retain possession of such treasures.  It could be due to death or illness.  Often times family does not seek out a worthy means  to distribute the treasured quilter's possessions.  

So then, as seekers of a good bargain, what would be the right thing to do when we find a treasured UFO quilt top?






A.   Buy it, take it apart and make it over

B.   Complete the quilt in its original form
C.   Pass the buck...Gift it to someone else to finish.


This UFO is scrappy-happy.  It has been machine sewn.  The color fabric appear to be vintage 50's (keep in mind this is my guess).  Anyone have any clues?  The whites appear to be of linen fabrics, stable but in need of repair in some areas.  Many of the points are not sharp, in fact some are cut off and shifted from point.  It is unsoiled and appears to be large enough for my queen bed.  Since it is unfinished there is no tag. 
  


Well, my plans are to keep it in its original off-point condition, repair some of the squares that need mending, add a simple one-color border and quilt it myself.  Not sure if I will quilt by hand or on my Pfaff table top sewing-machine.  A simple primitive style Baptist Fan Pattern may be nice.

In any case, this UFO will sit until next year with a resolution to complete this unknown quilter's top.  Hope this makes the Unknown Quilter Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment